Sunday, July 20, 2008

Camping on the Channel Islands

I couldn't blog while I was camping, so here is a "late" blog entry of my camping trip:
July 17, 2008
Today is my birthday! AND WE'RE GOING CAMPING ON THE CHANNEL ISLANDS!!! Yesterday I got a chicken pox shot (which hurt when I got it), a tetanus shot (which was very sore when I got it and is going to still be a little swollen in three days (present time)), and a hepatitis A shot, that didn't hurt in the past, present, or future. Today at 46 minutes past midnight Mom woke me up to take a typhoid pill that has a nausea side effect. I got up in the morning and the nausea had started. It wasn't that bad. then we waited at the harbor for our boat to come, and got on the boat. We had just gotten out of the harbor when we saw this big red buoy packed with sea lions. some of them were shedding their fur, looking white and fluffy. Some of them were trying repeatedly to get on to the buoy but kept slipping off the backs of the others. We saw lots of dolphins, passed an oil rig, an enormous container ship with train cars stacked 5-6 high passed us, and then we got to Santa Cruz Island. We climbed trees, went on a hike, and came back and ate lunch and brownies.Then we went snorkeling. The water is so clear, it's like you're swimming in a fish tank! We saw some bright orange fish, light blue fish, and gray fish. We also swam through kelp forests, looked at thousands of bright purple sea urchins, but no coral. Ruth and I found this path made by a little landslide on a hill that is almost a cliff. We hiked up it and watched the sunset. We called that view channel 1. That is one of the best views I have ever seen. We turned around and admired the view on the other side. There's this place where the cliffs part and you can see the ocean. We came back the next morning to see the sunrise and what do know; the sun rose on that very spot. And did I mention the channel island fox? It was sooo cute!! here's a photo dad got of it:

Yep, that was definitely the best birthday party I ever had.

No comments: