Friday, November 28, 2008

The Rocky Beach at Low Tide

We went to that beach I mentioned earlier, and it was really low tide, too. There were some great tide pools, we saw bright purple and orange starfish, chitons, anemones, mussels, a crab, shellfish, and a beautiful sunset.
Chitons are these creatures that don't really move, and if they move at all, they move very slowly. click on the word "Chitons" to go to the Wikipedia article. the Orange starfish we saw was bigger then the purple one, and they seemed to be hugging, sort of. they were on this rock that had so many mussels, you couldn't see any rock.
Mom saw this little crab crawling among the anemones, but Ruth and I didn't spot it in time. Ruth and I like to poke the anemones' tentacles so that they curl up into a tight little cylinder. there were also these teeny tiny shellfish that are fun to pick off the rocks and tap.
There was a GRAND sunset, and with the waves crashing on the rocks, the towering cliffs, and the sun's last rays reflecting on the water, I wished that I had a camera with me, or at least a sketch pad.

No comments: